Saturday, October 13, 2012

East Coast Travel



The past few months in Australia has been the most adventurous. I landed in Sydney with no plans or direction of where or what I was going to do in Australia. I traveled the entire East Coast of Australia and met the most wonderful people along the way!

Ice cold Polar dip!

Laura's Birthday

After two fun months in Noosa, I was ready for some more adventure! It was difficult to leave my hostel family, but my Greyhound Pass was soon to expire.
The next two weeks of my life were filled with unbelievable scenery, instant friendships, and breathe taking experiences that would last a life time!



 
East Coast 
North of Noosa






 Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world. Together with a group of 30 travellers, we were split into groups where we drove our own 4W's on the beach, prepared our own meals, and visited a variety of beautiful landscapes. I was overwhelmed by the long and non uninterrupted white beaches (75miles). Fraser Island is the only place in the world where tall rainforests grow in sand dunes

 
Lake McKenzie
 The sands around the lake are composed of pure, white silica and the water in the lake is also so pure it is unsuitable for many species.



Driving on Fraser Island

Stopped to take pictures of wild life

SS Maheno Shipwreck (1935)


Next stop was a very small town called Agnes Waters next to 1770, where Captain James Cook "first" discovered Australia. The Southern Cross Nomads Hostel I stayed at was so safe that the doors did not have locks. While in Agnes Waters, I took advantage of the $17 surf lession for 3 hours where I caught my first real wave. After surfing, I rented an electric bike with a Scottish boy and jetted to 1770 to visit the famous historical site. 


 



 
The Greyhound bus departed from Agnes Waters in the late evening and arrived in Airlie Beach the next morning with only a few hours before departing for the Whitsunday Island adventure. Two days and two nights of snorkeling, games, white sand beach and taking in the beautiful ocean scenery.

When we returned to Airlie Beach, we celebrated with free pizza. I learned that this tall blonde Swedish stud that was staying in my hostel room with 7 other people was the #6 ranked DJ in the world, Avicii...he is 23 years old makes $20,000 a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment