Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sydney, Australia

Destination:
Sydney, Australia


Opera House

Arrived in Sydney!
My first impression...everyone talks funny and the city street are mixed up due to the left side driving.

Central Station - View from my room
I walked around town exploring the first few days. It felt surreal to be in Sydney. My surroundings were very similar to Toronto with a few exceptions. Vehicles driving on the left side of the road, lots of Asians, and different shops. The feeling of not knowing where I am and touring around made each and every foot step even more exciting...similar to Thomas Cook.








Harbour Bridge
First Night in a Hostel
Got my key and went to my room. Before opening the door, I paused. Who and what will be on the other side? It was scary. The next morning my roommate asked if we had heard her snoring and we said no. And she mentioned that she heard someone laughing. I didn't hear anything again. But my second roommate sad she heard me laughing in my sleep. haha. I thought that was hilarious and laughed out loud. They said it was the exact same laugh.  


Opera Bar
On my second night, I met up with a friend who studies at University of Sydney. We went to the Opera Bar, located at the Opera House. The Opera Bar has to be the best bar in the world as you can sit back an enjoy the Harbor Bridge and Opera House together.

The first few days I spent on my own. While staying at a hostel, you get to meet the world under one roof. The most popular question asked is "Where are you from?". Having met an American made life a little more homely. We took a day trip to Bondi Beach and hiked around the coast.
Wearing my Team Canada Shirt - Thanks Genny

It was not until, I met 21 year old girl from Vancouver during dinner that I felt like can better relate to someone even more so because we are Canadian. I have come across plenty of people from all over the world and most of them don't compare to Canadians in their mannerism. I now can say that I proud to be Canadian.


Everyone runs here! There is a running trail through the Botanical gardens to the Opera House. While visiting, I saw huge swarms of runners, as if there was a event taking place. Everywhere! I am thrilled as a Kinesiologist to be in a super athletic country!

Queen Victoria Building

Week #1
You find yourself overwhelmed with new faces, places, and lifestyle. Everything stands out more because you are not in your comfort zone and don't have the same daily reminders of where you are because there is so much change. 

Remember that saying, "the people around you shape who you are"? Well it is true. Who you spend your time with is a reflection of yourself. Not having your family and friends around, you have to depend on yourself and your judgement of your surroundings.


 


Library
I have noticed that the decision making in Canada was a lot easier than living abroad. Living in Sydney, I feel like I have to relect upon everything I have learned in school and life and apply it.
For example, I must take my time to research my options, ask others, and then decide.  

Tower Eye

1 comment:

  1. Sadness, disappointment, and severe challenge are events in life, not life itself. I do not minimize how hard some of these events are. They can extend over a long period of time, but they should not be allowed to become the confining center of everything you do. The Lord inspired Lehi to declare the fundamental truth, “Men are, that they might have joy.” That is a conditional statement: “they might have joy.” It is not conditional for the Lord. His intent is that each of us finds joy. It will not be conditional for you as you obey the commandments, have faith in the Master, and do the things that are necessary to have joy here on earth. Cheap Flights to Sydney | Flights to Sydney | Cheap Air Tickets to Sydney

    ReplyDelete