Thursday, July 5, 2012

Byron Bay

...is the place to be!

more pictures
video

Light House

Canadians


Most Easterly Point of Australia
Sydney to Byron Bay
After arriving in Sydney, I felt it was time to flock north for warmer weather. I took an overnight bus to Byron Bay. I stayed at the Arts Factory  and  Nomads Byron Bay. Originally I booked 3 nights in Byron and ended up staying 2 weeks because I loved the little surf and skateboard town too much!

Things I love about Byron:
  • Barefoot locals
  • Surf and skateboard Culture
  • Healthy Lifestyle (the only fast food place are pizza shops)
  • Friendliness
  • Running Trails
  • Slow pace lifestyle, there is never a need to rush
  • The beach and light house 


My solo traveler buddies
I meet people all the time, hang out with them for a few days or a night, have the time of our lives together and then we carrying on with our own travel. Meeting new people can be exciting at first, but sometimes you wish you could let the friendship grow. However, the benefit is that you gain a friend from every country in the world.

Champion!!
I won a "Beer Pong" competition with a teammate from Chile, and got a free night stay at Nomads. People thought I was experienced in throwing a ping pong into a beer cup because I was Canadian, but it was just my natural athletic abilities.


Surfing
I went surfing with Kool Katz Surf School. Out of all of the surf schools, they offered a free meal with purchase of a surf lesson and I was sold! I learned how to stand up, and was surfing on my own.




"It is as if a smoky avenue of Amsterdam has been placed in the middle of the mountains behind frontier-style building facades. ... Nimbin is a strange place indeed."
 - Austin Pick
   

Nimbin has been described in literature and mainstream media as 'the drug capital of Australia', 'a social experiment' and 'an escapist sub-culture'. Nimbin has become an icon in Australian cultural history with many of the values first introduced there by the counterculture becoming part of modern Australian culture.



I am not a huge fan of museums, but found Nimbin's museum to be the best museum ever.

Museum

Inside the Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment